Today I’m talking about the top contenders to direct Brie Larson in the Captain Marvel solo film. But first, let’s take a look at the Marvelous Bugle, and its opening story: Zendaya is Mary Jane Watson.
- Zendaya is Mary Jane Watson?: I’m not that familiar with Zendaya or her work, but I heard a while ago that she was playing someone named Michelle. Now, Umberto Gonzalez has revealed that she is in fact playing Mary Jane Watson. Now, a lot of people have a problem with this. I don’t. We’ve had five Spider-Man films prior to Homecoming. We’ve seen the classic Mary Jane look in the Raimi films. Let’s try something different.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Concept Art: So, this looks pretty cool. We get a look at Baby Groot in one of the corners, and the picture shows our team of misfits fight a giant space monster. The article I’ve linked the story to, speculates that it takes place early on in the film seeing as Yondu and Mantis aren’t shown. I think that’s a solid guess.
- Ironheart: A little while ago we learned that Riri Williams would be taking over as Iron Man in the comics. Now, WIRED has learned that her name will be Ironheart. Apparently Iron Maiden would’ve been a legal nightmare, which makes sense I guess.
- Thor meets Stephen Strange?: In a set photo for Thor: Ragnarok you can see Thor hold a business card with the following address: 177A Bleecker Street. I wonder if this is for Ragnarok, or as a post-credits scene in Doctor Strange. Who knows.
- Doug Liman exits Gambit: Gambit just lost its director. Personally, I don’t think the character should have a solo film, at least not yet, but it sucks for big fans of the character. Liman, by the way, is apparently going to direct a DC Film instead, which is pretty cool. Good for him.
- Who should direct Captain Marvel?
I didn’t put it in the Marvelous Bugle-section, but on August 24th THR reported that the top contenders to direct the Captain Marvel-film are: Lesli Linka Glatter, Niki Caro, and Lorene Scafaria. And I think it’s a pretty good selection of female directors. Since then Jeff Sneider has revealed that Rebecca Thomas of Electrick Children fame is also in the running.
I’m not as familiar with Niki Caro’s work as I am with Glatter and Scafaria’s, but I’ve heard good things about Whale Rider. Scafaria hasn’t directed a lot of feature films, with Seeking a Friend for the End of the World probably being the film she’s known for. But I did like that film.
Still, Lesli Linka Glatter would definitely be my choice here. She is an extremely experienced director, even though most of her work comes from television. But here’s the trump card. She’s made episodes for every kind of television show. Dramas like Mad Men and Homeland, comedies like Weeds and Freaks and Geeks, and fantasy and horror shows like True Blood, The Walking Dead, and Heroes. She sounds perfect to me.
– Jeffrey Rex