April 15th, 2021 was a good day to be a Danish actor. At least, it sure seemed that way. On this day, Deadline Hollywood revealed two ‘exclusive’ casting news articles. Now, why is that significant? It’s simple really. Two very popular Danish actors are joining two major Hollywood franchises in highly anticipated sequels, and, again, for some unknown (but somewhat amusing) reason these unrelated casting news articles were released on the very same day.Continue reading “A Good Day to Be a Danish Actor: Mads Mikkelsen & Pilou Asbæk Join Major Franchises”
I hold the Danish thespian, Mads Mikkelsen, in high regard. I think of him as my nation’s finest actor, but also possibly the finest actor of his generation. He has proven himself both in his home country, overseas, and even in Hollywood. He’s a Bond-villain, a Marvel supervillain, and Hannibal the Cannibal. But he is also so much more than that. He is a skilled actor of many talents, who can be more than just a villain. He’s a star. Today, let’s take a trip through Mads Mikkelsen’s glorious career, as I rank his ten best roles and performances. Continue reading “Mads Mikkelsen’s Top 10 Performances: Ranked”
A long time ago, on a movie-related podcast, a question was posited to the hosts: When is the last time your favorite movie of the year won Best Picture at the Oscars? As I was listening to the podcast, it took me a little while to figure my first answer out, but whenever I thought of a film, I realized that I only agreed with the selected winner of the nominated films — but it wasn’t really my favorite film of the year. So, today, I want to do my own four-pronged test, for the purpose of finding out just how much I agree with the Academy. Continue reading “Best Picture Alignment Test – Special Features #34”
- Rear Window (1954) – Directed by Alfred Hitchcock.
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962) – Directed by David Lean.
- The Godfather (1972) – Directed by Francis Ford Coppola.
- Taxi Driver (1976) – Directed by Martin Scorsese.
- Toy Story (1995) – Directed by John Lasseter.
- The Pianist (2002) – Directed by Roman Polanski.
- Toy Story 3 (2010) – Directed by Lee Unkrich.
- Jagten (2012) – Directed by Thomas Vinterberg.
- Inside Out (2015) – Directed by Pete Docter & Ronaldo Del Carmen.
Continue reading “9 Masterpieces – The Collection #8”