Just like last year, I’m beginning this year’s box office predictions with a preview of the biggest opening weekends. Today, I’m going to guess what films will do the best at the North American box office, and hold the biggest opening weekends once the year is over. Have a look!
- Star Wars: Episode VIII – $220-240 million
- Beauty and the Beast – $145-160 million
- Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 – $130-145 million
- Justice League – $125-140 million
- The Fate of the Furious – $110-120 million
- Spider-Man: Homecoming – $100-110 million
- Fifty Shades Darker – $95 million-105 million
- Transformers: The Last Knight – $90-100 million
- Thor: Ragnarok – $90-95 million
- Wonder Woman – $85-95 million
- Despicable Me 3 – $85-90 million
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales – $85-90 million
- Kong: Skull Island – $85-90 million
- Logan – $75-95 million
- War for the Planet of the Apes – $75-85 million
I considered putting the Kingsman sequel or Alien: Covenant on the list, but I think they’ll both open to around $60 or $70 million. The one movie that just missed the top 15 is Cars 3. I’m not sure it’s going to have a big opening weekend, but it’ll probably be huge once it finishes its run. The other big animated movie – Despicable Me 3 – may be a bit low on my list, but it’ll probably shoot up the list if they focus on the very popular Minions in the trailers and TV-spots. If Wonder Woman can make as much money as Ragnarok does, then I think that’s a huge success for that character’s future.
Finally, let’s talk about the top five. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 is going to be huge. The first two trailers have been great, and Baby Groot is so damn cute. I don’t see how Justice League could open bigger than that film, especially not since both Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad were critical bombs. Still, I do think there’s a chance that both Guardians and Justice League will make more than I’ve predicted above.
I have a feeling that Beauty and the Beast is going to be huge, and if it gets good reviews, then it’ll have a chance of making more in its opening weekend than I’ve predicted. Finally, we have Episode VIII, and we all know it’s going to be huge. It would be wonderful if it made more than The Force Awakens, but right now I don’t think that’s going to happen. But who knows, the power of Star Wars is immeasurable.
What film do you think will have the biggest opening weekend in 2017? Sound off in the comments below.
– Jeffrey Rex