MAJOR RELEASES’ OPENING WEEKEND PREDICTIONS:
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows – Paramount – June 3rd, 2016 – $50-60 million
- The Conjuring 2 – Warner Bros. – June 10th, 2016 – $35-45 million
- Warcraft – Universal – June 10th, 2016 – $25-30 million
- Finding Dory – Disney/Pixar – June 17th, 2016 – $110-120 million
- Independence Day: Resurgence – Fox – June 24th, 2016 – $75-80 million
Looking back on May for a moment. Was Captain America: Civil War‘s North American opening weekend box office total a disappointment?
No, it definitely wasn’t. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice‘s opening weekend was a disappointment, it should have been the biggest film of the year. Dawn of Justice should have been huge. Now, Civil War had to land between $170m and $200m, which was what I estimated back in January, to have a successful opening weekend, which it had. Civil War is a better movie than Dawn of Justice, but Disney has to be pretty upset that Dawn of Justice wasn’t better. Disney would want for the WB superhero film to have success. If the genre is going to survive, then we need good movies in succession. We also have to remember that this wasn’t an Avengers-movie, it was a Captain America-movie, and it was, by far, the best opening weekend that the Captain America-side of the franchise had ever had.
What film will win June? Sound off in the comments.
– I’m Jeffrey Rex